Graduate Admissions in Academic Year 2013-2014
- General Information
- Department of Anthropology Graduate Admission Application Requirements
- Requesting Department Evaluation for MA Program if not admitted to the PhD Program
- Department of Anthropology Application Fee Waiver Petition (Foreign Nationals, only)
- Contact Information
The Department of Anthropology offers the following advanced degrees: the Master of Arts (MA) in Anthropology and the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Anthropology.
To apply to graduate degree programs in the Department of Anthropology, please go to the University Registrar, Graduate Admissions web page located at http://gradadmissions.stanford.edu. For the application to the PhD in Anthropology as well as the Terminal MA in Anthropology, the online application will be available from mid September 2013 until 9:00pm PST on 10 December 2013.
For Additional Information about applying to Stanford University, go to:
- Stanford University Registrar Office of Graduate Admissions for information about graduate admission.
- Stanford University Bulletin for information about university requirements, degree program requirements and course offerings.
- Department of Anthropology, Graduate Degrees 2013 - 2014 Program Flyer for information about the department’s graduate degree programs beginning in 2014-2015.
Department of Anthropology Graduate Admission Application Requirements
- Submissions of the Stanford University Electronic Graduate Admissions Application (for PhD and terminal MA applications only) by the published deadline. Please review the information and instructions, for accessing the electronic application, via the Stanford University Graduate Admissions webpages located at http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/gradadmissions. To choose an Anthropology graduate degree program, search for the Department of Anthropology in the School of Humanities and Sciences.
- Submissions of the Writing Sample detailing evidence of both writing ability, the capacity for research, analysis, original thought at the graduate level, and demonstration of the ability to use theory in relation to evidence. Please submit a 10-12 page, single-spaced paper, via electronic pdf file upload directly to the electronic graduate application. If electronic submission is not possible, please send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining the circumstance and make a request for an alternate method of electronic submission.
- Submission of all cited transcripts, via electronic .pdf file upload directly to the electronic graduate application. In addition, an official, paper (hard) copy (two copies required for each transcript provided) of the transcript is required and should be sent via mail or courier delivery directly to the Department of Anthropology to the mailing address listed below. Transcripts delivered to the Department of Anthropology may be received after the published application deadline if the electronic application has been submitted by the published application deadline.
- Submission of required test scores by way of the Educational Testing Service (ETS) listing the Stanford University Institutional code: 4704 (there is no department or school code, only the University code)
- GRE required for all national and foreign national applicants
- TOEFL for all foreign national applicants (please see the information listed at University Registrar Office of Graduate Admissions for exceptions)
- Submission of a statement of purpose detailing academic and professional preparation for the Anthropology graduate degree program. Please submit a 2-3 page, single-spaced paper, via electronic pdf file upload directly to the electronic graduate application.
- Submission of three letters of recommendation, only. Please review the University Registrar Office of Graduate Admissions instructions for submission of the letters of recommendation. Important - Letters must be submitted electronically by each recommender. A private letter/credentialing service is not permitted. If electronic submission is not possible, please send an email message to email@example.com explaining the circumstance and with a request for alternate method of electronic submission. All letters should be received by the published deadline. It is the applicant’s responsibility to communicate with each recommender to ensure that the department’s deadline for submission of the electronic graduate application will be met.
Requesting Department Evaluation for MA Program if not admitted to the PhD Program
Although requesting department evaluation for MA if not accepted to PhD is an option provided in the University Graduate Application, the Department of Anthropology does not offer this option. Students should apply separately to either the PhD or the MA degree program in Anthropology. The department reserves the right to offer admission to an applicant for the MA or PhD regardless of the desired program stated in the Graduate Application.
Department of Anthropology Application Fee Reimbursement Petition
The Department of Anthropology values diversity. So, recognizing that the Stanford University Graduate Application fee amount ($125.00USD) and fee payment method (by credit card, only) may be prohibitive for some prospective graduate applicants, the Department of Anthropology may offer a limited number of fee reimbursements (based on funding availability) for eligible Foreign National graduate applicants, only. For additional information on this Department policy, please see Fee Reimbursement on the Application Process FAQ page. The University Registrar Office of Graduate Admission offers a fee reduction program for eligible United States National and Permanent Resident graduate applicants based on eligibility for a GRE fee reduction. For additional information on this University policy, please see http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/gradadmissions/applying/fee-waiver and FAQ.
University Registrar office of Graduate Admissions Contact Information:
Department of Anthropology Contact Information:
Web page: http://anthropology.stanford.edu
Mailing Address: Department of Anthropology
450 Serra Mall, Main Quadrangle, Building 50, Room 51G
Stanford, CA 94305-2034