How To: Request Stop Payment

Who does this?  Stanford Employees

When?  An employee paycheck has been lost.

How?  By submitting a request to Payroll


Request Stop Payment (4 steps)

step 1

Launch the Finance & Payroll Services & Support web site:

  1. Go to
  2. Enter your SUNet ID and password as prompted.
  3. Select Finance & Payroll.
step 2

Locate Assist with Payroll form:

  1. Click on Payroll.
  2. Select Assist with Payroll from the drop-down menu.
step 3

Enter information about your request in the Assist with Payroll form:

  1. Type or copy and paste the following text:
  2. Request a stop payment order on my paycheck and issue a replacement check to me after the appropriate waiting period. If the original check arrives after I submit this request, I agree to return the original check to Stanford Payroll. I will repay Stanford University if the original check clears the bank as a result of action on my part.
  3. Include your name, your employee id number, and the approximate date the check was issued to you.
Note:  Replacement checks are held at the University Payments Office for pickup. If you would like the check to be mailed to you, indicate so on the support request.
step 4

Click Submit.

back to top


What Happens Next?

  • You will receive an automatic email confirmation of your request.
  • Payroll will request the stop payment and contact you when the replacement check is ready for pickup. This process generally takes 2 business days.
  • The University Payments Office is located at 459 Lagunita Drive, Tresidder Memorial Union Suite 7, Stanford, CA 94305. Hours are 3 – 5 PM, Monday-Friday. Photo ID is required when picking up paychecks.


back to top