How To: Process Miscellaneous Types of Receipts
Who does this? Staff, Faculty, Students
When? When there is a need to process a miscellaneous type of University receipt (a payment to the University) that is not department income, a gift, or sponsored project receipts
How? Instructions vary depending upon the type of receipt. See sections below
On this page:
- Salary, Sick Leave & Disability Reimbursements
- Graduate Stipend (Student Aid) Overpayments
- Externally Awarded Financial Aid
- Travel and Other Advance Adjustments
- Patent or Software Licensing Fees
- Surplus Property Sales
Salary, Sick Leave & Disability Reimbursements (2 steps)
Reimbursements of salary or sick leave / disability can involve complex tax issues (made even more complex if they cross calendar years). As a result, they should be corrected immediately upon discovery of the overpayment.
First submit a HelpSU Request for assistance in calculating the appropriate repayment amount, net of taxes and benefits, using:
- Request Category: Financial Support
- Request Type: Payroll
Note 1: For student salary repayments, be sure to also correct the necessary line(s) in GFS.
Note 2: Salary repayments can also occur when Stanford faculty visit another University for an extended period of time, but stay on Stanford's payroll. Stanford bills the other University for the amount of the faculty member's salary and benefits. Any such reimbursement checks should be sent to Payroll.
After receiving the correct repayment amount, deliver the reimbursement check to the Payroll Office with a memo indicating the relevant employee ID number and PTA to be credited.
Note: For continuing employees, you can also make arrangements with Payroll to deduct the overpayment from future paychecks. See How To: Adjust for Employee Overpayment.
- If you have questions, please submit a HelpSU ticket to Payroll (Category Financial Support and Request Type Payroll).
Graduate Stipend (Student Aid) Overpayments (2 steps)
In the case of graduate stipend (student aid) overpayments, the appropriate student services representative should process a correcting transaction in the Graduate Financial Support (GFS) Module prior to receipt of any repayment.
Once the correcting GFS transaction is reflected on the appropriate student's bill, any repayment check should be taken to the Student Services Center (SSC) and applied directly to the student's account.
Note: For postdoc stipend overpayments, see the above section on Salary, Sick Leave & Disability Reimbursements.
- Contact Student Services Center.
Externally Awarded Financial Aid (1 step)
Externally awarded financial aid payments (i.e., payments where an external agency has chosen the specific student to whom the aid should be awarded) should be delivered to:
Financial Aid Office
355 Galvez Street
What Happens Next?
- The Financial Aid Office will assign the aid directly to the correct student within the financial aid system.
- Contact Financial Aid Office.
Travel and Other Advance Adjustments (1 step)
Unused travel or other advance payments should be repaid by the advance recipient in the form of a check made payable to Stanford University. Send the check to:
Travel & Reimbursement
ATTN: Disbursement Operations
- Contact the Financial Support Center (3-2772).
Patent or Software Licensing Fees (1 step)
Royalty and patent payments for licenses held by the Office of Technology Licensing (OTL) should be forwarded to:
1705 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306
or by ID Mail: 1850
Similarly, copyright payments for items copyrighted by Stanford University Press should be forwarded to:
1450 Page Mill Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304-1124
or by ID Mail: 8460
All other copyright or royalty payments may be processed via the Cashier's Office.
- Contact Office of Technology Licensing for royalty and patent payment questions when patents are held by Stanford's Office of Technology Licensing.
- Contact Stanford University Press for copyright payment questions when copyrights are held by Stanford.
Surplus Property Sales (1 steps)
Departments may not give or sell property to non-Stanford entities or individuals, including Stanford employees. If a department arranges to sell property, the transaction must go through Surplus Property Sales. The check from the buyer must be made payable to Stanford University and must include sales tax.
- For further information on surplus property sales, see Administrative Guide Memo 56: Surplus Property Sales or contact Surplus Property Sales at 650-723-3001.