How To: Request New (or Change Existing) Expenditure Type or Object Code
Important Notice: Requests for New or Changed Expenditure Types or Object Codes will not be processed during the period beginning August 1 and ending October 1 each year due to year-end accounting requirements.
Who does this? Department Staff
When? Existing Expenditure Types or Object Codes do not meet department's needs
How? The department must complete an online form including a clear explanation as to why existing Expenditure Types or Object Codes are not meeting department's needs
Request New (or Change Existing) Expenditure Type or Object Code (4 steps)
Review existing Expenditure Types and Object Codes to confirm that existing codes do not meet department's need.
As appropriate, meet with your manager, Principal Investigator, Budget Officer and/or local accounting staff to review and finalize the request, including business justification.
Complete online form to:
- Request change to an existing Expenditure Type or Object Code, or
- Request new Expenditure Type or Object Code.
- Click Submit button when all required fields have been entered.
Save or print the acknowledgement page for future reference.
What Happens Next?
- Requests are reviewed upon receipt. Requesters will be contacted if clarification or additional information is required.
- All requests are compiled on a monthly basis (at the end of the first week of each month for the four weeks prior.
- The second week of each month, the Central Office Chart of Accounts Committee meets to review and discuss open requests and agree on disposition.
- As needed, committee members will contact individual requesters for clarification, to discuss alternate solutions, and to come to a mutual agreement on next steps.
- The last week of each month, requesters with approved requests will receive an e-mail notification from Controller's Office staff in Financial Analysis & Information Reporting (FAIR) confirming that their request has been implemented.
- Call Rekha Nandakumar at 1-650-723-9240 or email FAIR.