This page describes Stanford Cycling's rules and eligibility for our various tiers of sponsorship.
Tier I: Stanford Cycling Club Membership
Items covered: Menlo Velo discount card and clothing ordered from CapoForma through the team
Club members are defined as those who have paid their dues for the quarter(s) in which they plan to be active members.
In addition, the club requires that all members perform a total of 4 club jobs throughout the course of the academic year, at least 2 of which must be race-day jobs. Club members who have paid their dues and fulfilled their club jobs requirement are eligible for Tier I sponsorship benefits.
Tier II: Stanford Cycling Racing Team Membership
Additional items covered: Gear ordered from our equipment sponsors.
Racing Team members are defined as those club members who have raced for Stanford in the previous applicable season and intend to race for Stanford in the future as well. To be eligible, racers must have paid their dues and must have satisfied (or committed to satisfy) their club jobs requirement, as described above. Racing team members (Mountain and Road) are also expected to volunteer at any Stanford race weekends, whether they plan to race or not, in addition to the minimum job requirements for club membership.
In addition, racers will be asked to submit:
- Appropriate forms (liability release waiver, non-disclosure agreement, full contact information)
- Copy of your most recent valid USCF/NORBA/NCCA racing license, or your license number
- Commitment, as deemed acceptable by the Sponsorship Director, Public Relations Director, or either Captain, to fulfill your club jobs requirement
- Commitment, as deemed acceptable by the Sponsorship Director or either Captain, to participate in at least 1 race in the next/current collegiate season
- Any other requirements which may be imposed by a specific sponsor
Please note: only full-time registered students (undergraduate and graduate, including post-docs) are eligible to race for Stanford in collegiate competition, and therefore only full-time registered students are eligible for Tier II membership.
Future Committed Racers
If you have not raced before with Stanford Cycling, but have a firm intention to race with us in the future, you may be eligible for Tier II membership, provided quotas have not been filled by veteran racers. In addition to the Tier II requirements listed above, the following conditions must be met:
- Submission of a signed Statement of Intent to become a future Racing Team member
- Additional payment of a performance bond to be levied on the item being purchased. This bond is a 20% fee on the price of whatever you are purchasing from Tier II. After you receive the goods, you will have 2 academic quarters to fulfill your commitment to race. Once you have competed in a collegiate race, we'll refund your money. If you do not race, you will have forfeited the 20% fee to the team.
All rules are subject to change at any time at the discretion of the Sponsorship Director and/or the individual sponsors.
All beneficiaries of sponsorship through the Stanford Cycling team must comply with the team's sponsorship non-disclosure agreement, which prohibits disclosure of specific sponsorship arrangements to third parties.